This reduced layout Realforce is identical to the standard 87U, but with uniformly 55g weighted key switches over the entire board (The standard 87U uses 3 different key weights in an ergonomic layout). Convenient LEDs are embedded in the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys and the Caps Lock and CTRL keys are swappable and configurable using the on-board dip-switches.
ATTENTION: Please note two important features of this keyboard when deciding on a purchase:
1. This keyboard has black labeling on dark gray plastic keycaps. In low lit environments, this keyboard will appear to be blank! This keyboard is not available with higher contrast keycaps; for better visibility, please consider a white keyboard.
2. 55gram weighted switches are very stiff and snappy. We do not recommend this keyboard to people with arthritis, RSI, or any state of health or physical inability that would prevent them from using, or building the strength to use, these heavy switches!
- 87-Key US ANSI English Layout
- All 55 gram weighted, 4mm travel Topre Electrostatic Capacitive Key Switches
- Integrated Ten-key Numberpad (outputs true 'Num' keycodes)
- High durability PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) keycaps
- Long life dye-sublimated keycap labeling (Black)
- Dimensions: 366 × 169 × 38 mm (14.4 x 6.6 x 1.5in)
- USB interface
- Cable Length: 1.6m (5.25ft); non-detachable
- Weight: 1.2kg (2lbs 10oz)
- Blue LEDs
- Includes swappable CTRL/CAPS Lock keys and keycap pulling tool included
Topre capacitive key switches are a patented hybrid between a mechanical spring based switch, a rubber dome switch, and a capacitive sensor which, combined, provide tactility, comfort, and excellent durability. The unique electrostatic design of Topre switches requires no physical mechanical coupling and therefore key switch bounce/chatter is eliminated.
Topre, (formerly named Tokyo Press Kogyo), is an electrical, plastics, and metal materials manufacturer based in Japan. A leader in industrial credit card readers, touch sensors, and touch panels; Topre's key switches are used in critical data-entry applications that require the utmost reliability.
87U DIP Switch Settings
|DIP Switch||Key/Function||SW OFF||SW ON|
|SW1||Left Ctrl Key||Left Ctrl||Caps Lock|
|Caps Lock Key||Caps Lock||Left Ctrl|
|SW3||Numeric Keypad (Numlock)||Enable||Disable|
|SW4||Firmware Update Mode||Disable||Enable|
HHKB and Realforce Warranty
2 years, parts, labor, and round-trip repair shipping through EliteKeyboards.com (standard manufacturer warranty is only 1 year). Please review our warranty terms for further information.
HHKB and Realforce Returns
No test drives. No exchanges accepted. Returns for repair ONLY will be allowed. No returns for repair service will be accepted without prior e-mail approval and a RMA number. Repairs may be performed in Japan at the Topre or Fujitsu PFU factory wherein repair turn-around is typically 4-8 weeks; loaner boards are not available, but shipping charges are covered by EliteKeyboards during the warranty period.